Book Title: The Art and Practice of Home Visiting: Early Intervention for Children with Special Needs and Their Families
Publisher: Brookes Publishing
Author: Ruth Cook Ph.D.
Developed especially for today's working environment, this is the modern home visitor's complete introductory text to early intervention for children with disabilities and their families. Building on their extensive academic backgrounds and practical experience in the field of early intervention, the authors address the complex issues home visitors face in their daily work with families who have diverse backgrounds and needs. Together, they give readers a fresh approach to home visiting that's culturally sensitive, family centered and designed to help each unique family reach their specific goals. Home visitors will learn the skills and attitudes they'll need to
- help parents enjoy a lead role in guiding their child's development
- adjust their approach for a wide range of families, including teen parents, grandparents, and parents with disabilities
- work successfully with interpreters and translators
- communicate in a warm, accepting, respectful, and empathetic way
- conduct effective assessment in the child's natural environment
- implement evidence-based interventions that fit the child's needs and keep families involved
- work with children with specific disorders, such as autism, visual impairment, delayed speech and language, and developmental delays
- skillfully manage legal, ethical, and personal safety concerns
Throughout the book, realistic family and home visitor interactions illustrate the suggested techniques and show how to move a child and family toward their desired goals and outcomes. And the appendices include helpful record-keeping forms and direct home visitors to more resources they can use to guide and educate parents. Pre-service professionals will wear out their copy of this straightforward, reader-friendly professional development resource, and current practitioners will gain practical new insight into the art and practice of effective home visiting with families of every type.